Monday, June 27, 2011

I (Still) Do

Image by AGB Photographics
Two years ago today, I traded my name for a new one, a name representative of a family I am proud to call my own. Oh, I'm still a Guzman deep down; I always will be, in part. But being a Maier has enriched my life in ways I wasn't able to foresee when we said these words to each other two years ago. When we wrote them, we were full of the romantic optimism that accompanies young love. Now, even though the "newlywed" bliss has faded into a new sort of romance, these vows mean even more to me than they did the day we exchanged them. 

For two years, we've lived our promises every day. And I found that it's true what they say: it does take work. We've learned that we must be purposeful, deliberate, mindful, sincere, otherwise we'd run the risk of settling into complacency, forgetting to be thankful for the blessing we have in each other. It's not to say we'd forget to love each other, but we could forget just how rare and how beautiful our story is: how taking a risk and opening ourselves up to loving each other made our lives richer and more meaningful.
Today, I'm saying these words to you again, Joey, because "I (still) do." In my heart, in my actions, in my choices, and in my dreams for our future. And I'm including your words to me as well because they mirror mine so perfectly, and today is the best day of the year to remember the way the two declarations fit together so well. By God's grace, may we uphold them as the years continue to slip by. Happy anniversary, my love!

Image by AGB Photographics
I, Josef, gladly choose you Rachel, to be my wife, to join with you in the journey God has set before us. I promise to guard and protect you and the love we share, always giving thanks to God for who you are. My love for you will remain steadfast through triumph and tribulation. I will remain true to you in both times of prosperity, and times of meagerness and want. I will celebrate health and vitality with you, and when your body is broken and your health has failed, I will be there to comfort and care for you. Forsaking all others. I will remain faithful to you always. I promise to look after you with a relentless love and a fervent joy until by death we are parted. Unto you, by God’s grace, I promise to faithfully uphold this declaration.
 



Image by AGB Photographics
I, Rachel, freely choose you, Josef, to be my husband, to join with you on the journey that God has set before us. I promise to nurture and sustain you, and the love we share, providing a safe place where that love may flourish. I promise to remain devoted to you through our successes and sorrows, to delight with you when there is plenty, and to persevere with you when there is not. I will celebrate health and vitality with you, and when your body is broken and your health has failed, I will be there to comfort and care for you. Forsaking all others. I will remain faithful to you always. I will respect and obey you, selflessly loving you until by death we are parted. Unto you by God’s grace, I promise to faithfully uphold this declaration.




1 comment:

Melanie-Pearl said...

omigosh. you are just a smashing beauty, Rachel. wow. that bottom photo could not be more glam.

so glad you two found each other. who would have known? i guess all that wanderlust in Joey (seriously, from the day i met him) was due to the fact he knew you were out there somewhere not in Kansas.

Congrats!