Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Meant to Enrich

Do you ever have moments where you're just sort of going through the motions of the day and out of seemingly no where, you know God is saying something to you? I do. Sometimes it happens when I'm listening to a song. Sometimes it happens when I see a beautiful piece of art. Sometimes it happens when I'm washing dishes (which I am very much avoiding right at the moment). But most of the time, He uses words (or is it that I tend to hear him clearer through actual words than I do through a whisper in the wind?) I know it's Him because the words become illuminated, like they're burning fire searing them into my mind and heart. And (every time) I ask myself, "Could that really be Him?" and (every time) He says, "Yep."

I don't know a whole lot about Woodrow Wilson (aside from the fact that he was one of our Presidents in years past), and I don't have any clue if he believed in Christ, and I am certain he had no idea that God would use his words decades after he spoke them to get my attention on this sleepy August afternoon (while I sat avoiding the pile of dishes in my messy kitchen). But what I do know is that he was on to something, and his words encouraged and inspired me today. 

And perhaps they'll encourage and inspire you wherever you are today, too, so here they are:

You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.
- Woodrow Wilson


2 comments:

Melanie-Pearl said...

i like the word "errand"...it's light and conveys a temporal, yet important air.

Unknown said...

so good Rach! LOVE