Sunday, December 18, 2011

On Creativity

There are so many smart people with incredible things to say out there, and when I stumble upon them (online or otherwise), I'm enriched, challenged, inspired.

This week I seemed to stumble upon things concerned with creativity. Not a big surprise; that's pretty much what's been on my mind and in my heart for the past several weeks. Here are my favorites:

1. Jon Acuff's blog is quickly becoming one of my favorite reads. Check out this post on recognizing our own talent here. As a bonus, there's a short video at the end of the post called "Obvious to You. Amazing to Others" by Derek Sivers that got me thinking in a new way about my own self-doubt. After you read/watch that one, here's a great one on ways to stay creative. A challenge, to say the least, but one worth trying, I think.

2. This post about creativity by Kath Cunningham, author of The Long Walk Home blog. She's from the UK, so her perspective is a bit different from those of us in the US, but her ideas and her heart are in sync with my own, and I love reading what she has to say.
 
3. Procrastination. It's not a word I like to use much. In fact, I sort of cringe at it. Not for reasons you'd think, though. It's not because I am overly efficient, am always early, or am even particularly organized. I don't like it because I don't like that it's true about myself. But this video helped me think differently about procrastination this week, and (shock!) I've actually gotten things done. See it on YouTube here.




No comments: