Thursday, December 15, 2011

Self-doubt and Creativity

Are "real artists," the painters, musicians, actors, play writes, novelists, or any number of other artsy occupations - are these the only people who are able to be creative? Are they the only ones who are capable of harnessing creativity and turning their inspiration into something tangible, something that can be seen and appreciated by others? 

I used to think so. I used to think that creativity was something only a select few were blessed with, as if it were a gift that God gave to only some people and not others. Now, though, I think that He has given us all the ability to create because He made us in His own image, and if he's the Creator, and we are made in his image, wouldn't that mean that we are given ability to create?

My husband has a talent for drawing beautiful, realistic pictures, but I have a hard time making stick figures look good. My brothers can play the drums and the guitar with abandon (having essentially taught themselves to do so), I can't play a single instrument. My father can envision a finished stage production well before he actually puts the cast together, I had a hard time putting together informal skits at junior high camp. My mom loves to sing, and she probably will until she breathes her last breath. Me? I'm certainly not a professional vocalist.

But you know what? That doesn't mean I'm not creative. I've learned that I am creative in different ways, ways in which the people I'm close to aren't creative. Because I'm different from them, I ended up misunderstanding creativity, and I let self-doubt suppress whatever urge to create I actually did have. 

I know I'm not alone. It seems to me that the most authentically creative people always battle with self-doubt, but it's when they kick it to the curb and do the work anyway that the genius begins to emerge. 

Here are a few thoughts and ideas about creativity that have helped shape my perspective, and I hope they make you think a little bit differently about whatever kind of creative passion you happen to have in your life. 


Everything in life is writable about 
if you have the outgoing guts to do it, 
and the imagination to improvise.  
 The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.
- Sylvia Plath


A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something. 
- Frank Capra
"Creativity is merely a plus name for regular activity. 
Any activity becomes creative 
when the doer cares about doing it right, or better.
- John Updike


Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. 
It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy
You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.
- Ray Bradbury


I believe that an artist working for 
and representing the Kingdom of God 
should do the best of their ability to show and prove 
the depth, life, newness, creativity, truth, 
and excitement of their Heavenly Father 
through the work that is set before them.
- Daniel Smith

1 comment:

melanie-pearl said...

A designer "friend" whose work I've really respected said something terrible to me on Friday night. He came out and said, "But you're not creative." Just like that.

Even though I know it can't be true (seriously, how do you even be a therapist and NOT be creative---let alone my personal art) it still managed to keep me awake some of the night. I just couldn't believe it! I would have rather heard, "Your 'art' sucks."

I agree we are all creative because of our creator. Thanks for carrying this important message to others/the world---and for modeling it yourself, right here, right now.

Here's one of my favorite recent quotes: ‘On the spectrum of creative work, the difference between the mediocre and the good is vast. Mediocrity is, however, still on the spectrum; you can move from mediocre to good in increments. The real gap is between doing nothing and doing something, and [even] someone making lolcats has bridged that gap (Cognitive Surplus, 2010, pp. 18-19).