Monday, May 2, 2011

PB & J Muffins

PB & J muffins--yep, like the classic sandwich, but these just might be better. (Plus, they're made with lots of good-for-you organic ingredients) The first time I made them, I used strawberry banana jam (which was a perfect combination, if you ask me), but this time around I used plum jam because it's what we had in the cupboard. You could certainly use whatever you happen to have on hand, or whatever your particular favorite jam happens to be. The recipe makes about 12 regular-sized muffins, but I think they'd be great as mini muffins too, especially if you're making them for little tummies. They're best just minutes out of the oven, washed down with--what else? A tall glass of cold milk.

Ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk (I used skim)
2 large eggs
2/3 cups sucanat or rapadura (natural cane sugar)
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
2/3 cups pureed banana
1/2 cup jam (approximately)

Method:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper baking cups. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt). 


Add milk, eggs, sugar, peanut butter and bananas to the bowl. Using an electric mixer, combine ingredients together (on low speed) until just moistened.


Fill prepared muffin cups evenly with half of the batter (each cup should be about halfway full). Put 1 1/2 teaspoons of jam in the center of each muffin. (As you can see, it doesn't matter if it's perfect...).


Use the remaining batter to top each muffin cup and sprinkle the tops with a little bit of sugar.


Bake for about 20 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean). Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, and then transfer the muffins to a rack.

 

I love how crackley and gooey they are when they first come out of the oven. And the smell? So good. Not sure much beats the smell of freshly made muffins in the morning.

1 comment:

Melanie-Pearl said...

I'm going to try making these---they look like something Mason would LOVE. I think your DH must have said something to Cody about how good of a cook you have become because I heard Cody talking to him, and Cody said (about me), "I know it was like one day she couldn't boil water, and the next she was making all kinds of stuff." :)