Sunday, July 10, 2011

Making Room for Writing

Well, here it is--the weekend, Saturday night. I admit it: I was feeling a bit down awhile ago because Joey was called into emergency surgery this evening, and Addie and I spent the majority of the night fighting over bedtime. (Yes, my eight month old picked a fight with me--and nearly won--over bedtime.) As I washed dishes and picked up the house, she was screaming, my back was aching, my head started to spin at the thought of the laundry list of things I had to get done in the next few weeks (real or imagined), and I began to feel guilty that I hadn't spent time writing in awhile, which turned into feeling like I was a big failure at life. (You know how the swirl happens.)

Addie eventually settled down, and not long after I managed to get the dishes dried and put away, it occurred to me that I had a quiet house all to myself, something which doesn't happen very often since we're living with my parents and my brother at the moment. I found myself confronted with, well, myself. Just me, no one else. Alone. I crave alone time, but I don't get much of it these days. It dawned on me that I could do whatever I wanted to tonight. I could even sit down and spend some time writing if I wanted to. But then suddenly I thought of a million reasons why I shouldn't write, the main one being the question, "What would I write about anyway?". I gave those reasons too much weight tonight, but the good news is that I overcame them. (You're reading the proof.)


This isn't the first time I've had to force myself to write. It probably won't be the last, either. It's not because I don't like writing, because I do. I love writing.  In fact, I often feel like it's one of the few places I feel the most comfortable in my own skin. Even so, making the time and space to write is a discipline because it feels frivolous to me sometimes, like I am whiling away the hours when there are a million other things I "should" be doing, and since writing is something I love doing, it must be unessential. 

But I know the truth: the truth is that it's not frivolous. It's not a waste of time. It's important, and I need to do it--even if it's only for myself. The problem is, I'm still figuring out what to write, exactly, which is why I often have to force myself to write. Believe it or not, a good majority of the posts I have collected here are the fruit of forcing myself to sit down and do the thing I love. More often than not, I don't plan what to write before I sit down to write it.

And yet, somehow when I set aside time to escape from the swirl of the world around me that never seems to stop otherwise, when I intentionally choose to give attention to the things that have been quietly clamoring for my attention, words begin to flow out of me, words that I wasn't aware of before, and that creates peace deep in my spirit because I know I am doing the thing that makes me come alive.

You would think that it would be easy to make the time for such a thing, right? The problem is, I've bought into the lie, the one that tells me that I have nothing to say, and even if I did, it wouldn't really matter. It's the same lie that makes me second guess myself, the one that tells me I'm unoriginal, ill-equipped, uninteresting.
  
I admit that I have let that lie cripple me. I wrote about it not so long ago, didn't I? The identity crisis I experienced was borne straight out of that. But I've come to realize that the lie was keeping me from being my true self, which is such a waste of a gift. Not using the gift that God gave me is just as good as handing it right back to Him and saying, "No, thanks," isn't it? It makes me think of instances when I have given a gift, one that I thought for sure the recipient would love to receive, only to find that they didn't love it, because if they did, they would have used it. Sure, they said plenty of "thank you's" and "I love it's" to make me feel like I gave a good gift, but isn't it so much more meaningful when the person to whom you give a gift puts it to visible use? When you give a friend a piece of jewelry, doesn't it make you happy to see her wearing it? Or when you give your brother a CD, don't you like it when you hear him listening to it?

In the same way, I want my life--writing or otherwise--to be an expression of gratitude to the One who gave me the gift, and I want to make Him smile when he sees me basking in the joy that comes from using it.

So, I guess that if I have to force myself to write once in awhile, so be it. It's better than not using my gift at all.

1 comment:

Joey said...

My Love, if you ever need time for writing, or anything otherwise, just ask. I am always happy to help! Please, don't ever stop writing.