Sunday, July 24, 2011

Saying Goodbye

We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.
-Jane Austen, Mansfield Park

This quote made me think of my friend Felicia today. I read it this morning as I was wracking my brain, trying to think of something, anything, that I could give her as a goodbye gift. I couldn't think of anything beyond the two recipes she had asked for (which I did give her, of course). But this quote stuck with me today and I couldn't seem to let it go.
Perhaps I was just caught up in thinking about this friend of mine today because it was, after all, the last time I'd see her in quite some time. And even thought I knew this day was bound to happen, the day she'd leave us and head into the unknown as she followed God's gentle tug at her heart, it still caught me by surprise and made my heart ache more than I expected it to. 
 
When I saw this quote, it made me think of something she taught me, one of the things I admire about her the most. She has the capacity to block out the noise of what other people are saying and remain true to herself and what the Lord is saying to her. Of all the things I learned from her, this is perhaps the most important. Well, that and the way she loves people with her whole heart--the way I imagine Jesus loves them, too. I love that about her. I'll miss that about her.

Saying goodbye was hard even though I know it's a good goodbye. And I do believe this is a good goodbye. I don't know what's next for her, but what I do know is that my heart is heavy with hope for her future. Simply put, Felicia is one of the best people I know; if anyone deserves good things, it's her. And I have a feeling that there are many good things around the corner for her. 
 
Felicia, like I said to you before, my life is richer because you are my friend. Thank you for your wisdom, your humor, your generosity, and your loyalty. I hope you know how much you are loved.

Big hugs. Always.

No comments: