Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's easy to keep me happy.

I've been pestering Joey to go with me to the farmer's market for, well, as long as we've been married. He's gone with me a few times, but I think I could happily go every week. Plus, we live very close to one that's open on Saturday mornings; this particular one is also just around the corner from a favorite local coffee house. Getting up early, grabbing steaming hot coffee and strolling over to the farmer's market is something I actually dreamed about. (It's pretty easy to keep me happy.)

Anyway, since Addie arrived, getting out the door in time to get there before they close for the day made it challenging. Then the rainy weather set in, and then we got busy, and then, low and behold, we were free one Saturday morning. So off to the market we went. And we're so glad we did.

We spent about $40 there and got all sorts of goodies: beets, turnips, strawberries, baby bok choy, red onions, sugar snap peas, cilantro, ginger, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, sweet potatoes, 2 bags of kettle corn (one for us, one for my dad) and a bouquet of flowers for my mom. A successful trip indeed. Made me want to squeal, I was so happy.

But I worried once we got it all home. Would we actually use it all before it went bad? Confession: veggies have been known to go bad around here from lack of timely use. I bet that's happened to you too, right? They're purchased with the best of intentions to actually eat them, but for some reason, far too many of them end up in the trash.

So I resolved to use them. All of them. And I did--and my efforts yielded de-lish results. It was so much fun, and I think Joey would attest to the fact that last week we ate really well. I realize now that I should have taken pictures of it all to help prove to you that what we ate was far from boring, and was both beautiful and really yummy. Oh well. You'll just have to trust me. Or better yet, make the recipes and see for yourself!


My mom was so impressed with the food that she asked me to write the recipes down so we can make them again. What better place to do so than here? Stay tuned--they'll be up soon :)

No comments: