Friday, April 15, 2011

A Recipe for Peace

Not too long ago, I found myself sitting in the school library, at work earlier than I normally come in, resting my swollen feet behind the librarian's desk as I watched my boss present college information to dozens of junior highers. I was there because it was my job to be there, but to be very honest, my heart wasn't there. I did my best to have a good attitude, but I'll be honest--I was very pregnant, very tired, and very ready to complain about lots of things.

As I sat there thinking about all the things that I was frustrated about, I realized I was distinctly lacking peace--about all sorts of things. There were so many areas of my life that lacked the calm assurance that comes with surrendering ourselves and trusting our lives into the hands of God. Don't get me wrong--deep down, I knew he was taking care of me, but do you ever just feel like you're drowning in a sea of "Me"? Like you try to focus on the things above, but you just can't? (Or perhaps, just won't, prefering to set up camp in a place where you can be selfish for a little bit?)

While I was sitting there, a little too focused on myself, my eyes drifted over to a list the librarian had posted on her desk; it was in a place where she could see it all the time, every time she needed a little encouragement (or a swift kick in the pants, perhaps, like I did).

I had never seen this list before, but it resonated with me on a deep level, so I grabbed a pen and copied it. I took it with me, and it eventually got buried beneath a pile of papers on my desk. I forgot about it, went on maternitiy leave, and only just found it now as I was sorting through some things in my office. The funny thing is, I needed the reminder again today.

I tried very hard to find the original author of this list, but I don't know where it came from, so I can't give credit where credit is due. I wish I could. I'm posting it anyway because I'm sure you will find a thing or two in the list that resonates with what you're struggling with at the moment, too.

Recipe for a Peace-Filled Life

1. Take a 10-30 minute walk or run everyday. And while you walk, smile. It is the ultimate antidepressant.

2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Talk to God about what is going on in your life. (Buy a lock if you have to.)

3. When you wake up in the morning, complete the following statement: “My purpose is to __________ today. I am thankful for __________.”

4. Eat more foods that grow on plants and eat fewer foods that are manufactured in plants.

5. Drink tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan salmon, broccoli, almonds and walnuts.

6. Try to make at least three people smile each day.

7. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead, invest your energy in the positive, present moment.

8. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a college kid with a maxed out credit card.

9. Remember that even though life isn’t fair, it’s still good.

10. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.

11. Don’t take yourself too seriously. (No one else does.)

12. You are not so important that you have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

13. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.

14. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

15. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

16. Frame every so-called disaster with these words, “In five years, will this matter?”

17. Forgive everyone. For everything.

18. What other people think of you is none of your business.

19. God heals everything—but you have to ask Him.

20. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.

21. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will. Stay in touch.

22. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

23. Each night before you go to bed, complete the following statements: “I am thankful for ________. Today I accomplished __________.”

24. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.

25. When you are feeling down, start listing your many blessings. You’ll be smiling before you know it.

No comments: