Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Perfect Muffin - July 27, 2010

This morning I wish computers somehow captured smells and transported them to you. Seriously. I'll bet my kitchen smells better than yours does. Well, that is, unless you just pulled out freshly baked banana crumb muffins from your oven like I did. They're intoxicating. Seriously.
Wanna peek?



I tried this recipe after having an enlightening, encouraging, inspiring conversation with my good friend Molly who's on a quest for the perfect muffin. She's experimenting with cooking real food too, but she's got a complication that I don't have quite yet--a 4 year old with an opinion. I'm sure my kids will be the same way some day, but for now, baby number one is at the mercy of what I put in my body.

My favorite story about Molly's son Timmy is that he has to have Mac & Cheese out of the box.
Won't touch the stuff otherwise. How in the world does a 4 year old know the difference (or care about the difference)? I'm sure I'll learn very quickly once mine is out of utero.

Anyway, Molly really wanted to find a stellar muffin recipe, one that tasted really good, good enough for Timmy to want to eat it. And one that perhaps was sneaky about the fact that it was actually good for his little body. Well Molly, I think I found your answer. (And I'm bringing some over to you today for you to try!)

This muffin is so good, I actually think it could be the best one I've ever eaten. It's healthy, too. Sounds like a contradiction in terms, right? Wrong. I can't explain it--you'll just have to trust me.
It's made with whole wheat flour, sucanat (a form of unrefined/minimally processed sugar; it's an abbreviated word for "sugar cane natural"), mashed bananas, plus a few more ingredients you'll see below. The version I made does have some oil in it, but you can substitute apple sauce for the oil instead (I, unfortunately, simply didn't have any in the house...).

Here's the recipe, and here's the picture of how they looked when I pulled them out of the oven. You'll just have to use your imagination for the smell, but I promise you--it's insanely good (particularly if you've got coffee brewing at the same time).
Banana Crumb Muffins
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (whole wheat pastry/soft spring wheat is the best!)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup sucanat
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup canola oil (or replace with half applesauce, if you'd rather)
Topping, optional:
  • 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 cup sucanat, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups. I use Pam to grease mine, but that may not be the way you'd like to go. Up to you.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full. They puff up, so make sure not to over fill.
  3. Topping (which of course, is optional): In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup sucanat , 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes, (a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin should come out clean at this point. If it doesn't, give it another two minutes or so). 



Original recipe from PassionateHomemaking.com; I only changed a few minor things, but feel free to peruse that site for the original. It's a great site with inspiring posts (and lots of recipes!)

No comments: