Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Strawberry Banana Bread-July 15, 2010

In the past few days, I've been learning as much as I can about organic living, which of course includes organic cooking. Real food, sans the processing that so much of our "food" goes through on its way to our table. Anyhow, I came across a recipe for Strawberry Bread on a fabulous site (http://heavenlyhomemakers.com) and threw in a few chocolate chips upon Laura's suggestion because I agreed with her that it sounded yummy.

Of course, in my currently non-local, non-organic kitchen, I didn't have a few of the key ingredients the original recipe called for (specifically, rapadura. I used plain old sugar instead). But, I decided that since I had comparable conventional ingredients, I could at least start experimenting. I did, however, have my trusty bag of whole wheat flour that I brought from my own kitchen when my husband and I recently moved in with my parents (another story for another day). That combined with the myriad of strawberries leftover from a big weekend birthday party provided enough of what I absolutely needed to try the recipe. In the end? It was very, very good. Delicious, even. I highly recommend it.

Next time I make it, I will make it with rapadura, if I can get my hands on any. I'm on the hunt. But I also want to try it with less fat, perhaps add some flax meal or something, and reduce the amount of cinnamon (just my own preference).

Today, inspired by the idea of strawberry bread, I came up with an idea for strawberry banana bread. I used the strawberry bread recipe as a guide, but tweaked it to my own specifications. I ran into one small snag when I was mixing up the batter, though. I didn't have any eggs. Not a single one to be found. So, I just left them out--and the result was surprisingly good.

Here's my recipe for Strawberry Banana Bread, but I'm sure I'll change it a bit and make it even more delicious (and healthy!) in the weeks to come.

Ingredients:
1 very ripe banana (largish)
1 c cut strawberries
1 ½ c whole wheat flour
½ c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
2 T canola oil
1 ½ tsp flax seed meal (if you have it/want to use it).

Method:
Mix together dry ingredients. Set aside. Blend stawberries and banana in a food processor or blender until smooth (like a smoothie).

Add the blended fruit to the dry ingredients; then, add oil to mixture and blend well.


Pour into greased glass loaf pan (I usually just sprayed the pan with Pam); sprinkle with flax seed meal. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

The result? Ta-da! I love the texture the flax seed meal gave the top. It gave it a slight crunch, especially when toasted (which, by the way, is really good).


Ah, the simple joy of something freshly baked. I think I might be addicted to it.

No comments: