Friday, February 25, 2011

Project 31 Day 17: Write about three things that make you happy.

Only three things? That is difficult. There are many, many things that make me happy, from finding a long-forgotten $5 bill in my coat pocket to having God speak very directly to me. After writing this, I realize that when I focus on the things that make me happy, I somehow forget about the things that don't make me happy. Perhaps I should write about things that make me happy more often. It might change my attitude a bit, which would be good since it is begging for a change these days. (Hmm. Do I hear a "Happiness Project" coming up?)

Anyway, when I started writing this afternoon, here were the first three things that came to my mind. In no particular order of "how happy" these make me, here is my list for today:

1. It makes me happy to watch dads love on and delight in their kids. I've always loved watching this, but now it's even more fun since I get to watch my husband with his daughter. It brings a smile to my face when I see men soften at the sight of their kids. Whenever I see a father who's totally in love with his children, it gives me hope that things aren't so bad after all. Plus, it reminds me that my Father in heaven loves me even more than those dads love their kids. Mind blowing.

2. It makes me happy when the kitchen is clean. There's something satisfying about a clean, organized kitchen. There's something very annoying about a dirty kitchen. Besides, when you love to cook as much as I do, a dirty kitchen is often a hindrance to the creative process. (Yes, for me, cooking is a creative outlet. I know it's a loathsome chore for some, but not for me. It's my haven.) It makes me even happier when someone else does the dishes.

3. My husband makes me happy. He is pretty much awesome, and he makes me happy in so many ways every day. No, he's not the romantic hero of an epic love story who sweeps me off my feet every day (cause let's face it, that would get a little boring after awhile), but by being in my life, he makes my every day extraordinary. Even on days when our lives get busy and we get sidetracked with a thousand things that get in the way of focusing on us, he still makes me happy. He makes me laugh, he loosens me up, and he reminds me that I don't have to be so serious all the time. He makes me proud because he is a man of integrity, ingenuity, passion and commitment. He is goofy, intelligent, quirky, and talented; he is handsome, stylish, romantic and artistic. But when I first met him, I didn't see any of those things. It took a long time for me to wake up to the wonderful man that he is. I'm happy to say that I still often find myself looking at him from across the room thinking to myself, "How did I ever miss this? He makes me so happy."

No comments: