Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Project 31 Day 8: Have a beauty secret? Share, please!

My secret beauty weapon? Her name is Christy.

I went through a season in my life--a very long season, might I add--in which I was, admittedly, pretty clueless about fashion. I honestly thought that I just liked simple, classic styles, but looking back? I liked boring styles. Why? Because they were safe.

Christy introduced me to fashion that wasn't so safe. She taught me how to be bold, how to take risks, how to embrace the things that I have and to play up my assets. It took a lot of coaching, but she finally convinced me that color was actually a good thing to add to a wardrobe (who would have thought?).

I'm happy to share her with you, but I think that probably most of you actually have a Christy in your life. She's my best friend, and I know all of you have a best friend (right?). If you don't, I highly suggest them. They're pretty awesome. A best friend will be very, very honest about what makes you look fat. She'll also be honest when something actually makes you look fabulous. It might take a bit of convincing, but eventually, you'll believe her because you'll remember that she wouldn't lie to you about stuff like that.

Christy also reminds me of who I really am. She speaks truth into my life and encourages me to be authentically myself. I find that it's when I spend my time living in that place, instead of hiding in my little corner of insecurity, I am free from the worry about or preoccupation with the way I look or how other people think I look. Having a friend like that is priceless. Irreplaceable.

So my tip to all of you? Listen to your best friend. Believe her when she tells you that something you never thought you could pull off actually does look good on you. Trust her enough to accept her advice when she tells you your favorite college sweatshirt just needs to be retired. It will pay off, I promise.

But more than that, make sure you return the favor. Remember that beauty isn't always just about asking for fashion advice or a free hair cut, but give those to her when she needs them. Remember that beauty invites, comforts, and inspires. Make sure that you invite your best friend to go shopping with you; offer comfort when she's hurting, and just be yourself, authentically, completely--because it will inspire her to do the same.

No comments: